Remember me? I definitely haven’t forgotten you. For the last several weeks I’ve been working on a huge post about my remodel but it got derailed because about two weeks ago I got a bug up my ass to flip a house, and I’ve been putting in every waking hour on that. I’m days away from putting in an offer on a house and wanted to share it with you…
The One That Got Away…
Two weeks ago, I was doing my usual scan on Redfin looking for houses for sale, when I came across the house below. It was dirt cheap(relative to the crazy Bay Area prices) at only $375,000.
Well a couple of telepphone calls later, I had scheduled a showing with The Realtor and a contractor. A few days later, we were all touring the house. The house was fine but there were quite a few structural issues that needed to be dealt with, plus I was going to have to add a bathroom in the basement. I mulled it over for the next couple of days but ultimately decided against buying it.
For Fuck’s Sake, What Am I Thinking?
The realtor then sent me another house, and this is the house I’m hoping to put an offer on.
*gulp* To say that I am freaked out would be a colossal understatement. I woke up this morning in a full-on panic. If this deal goes through, it will tie up all of our remodel money. And if I fail, then we won’t have any money left for the remodel and we’ll have to live in our house in its current, run-down condition forever (or at least until some distant relative, whom I’ve never met before, dies and leaves me her fortune).
In spite of this, however, I am also feeling so inspired and downright giddy. I spend every waking moment imagining what the house is going to look like when I’m done with it and trying to riddle out some of the more challenging layout issues, like how am I going to make a 800 sq. ft. house feel roomy?! #oxymoron
I don’t have the money to buy this house so I’ve turned to a loan shark…okay…fine he’s not a loan shark because he won’t break my legs if I run out of money but I’m pretty sure I’ll get put on a ship headed to some land without a treaty with the US, and become some Russian oligarch’s indentured servant. Tomorrow I hope to find out my fate on the money front.
Offers are due on Friday. Until then you can either wish me luck or organize an intervention. I’m open to either…